p h o t o g r a p h y
Gallery 1 > City Of Sunderland, UK > Around Sunderland 2
01. Hylton Castle Under The Moon
02. Through The Round Window, Roker Harbour
03. Gateway To Penshaw Hill
04. Banks Of The River Wear
17. Autumn Gold, Barnes Park
18. Hastings Hill, from Foxcover Lane
19. Herrington Park, from Penshaw Monument
20. Dismantling Crowtree Leisure Centre
13. The Colours Of Spring, Mowbray Gardens
14. Winder Gardens, Mowbray Park
15. Penshaw Monument At Dusk
16. East End View, from Sunderland Campus
09. Uphill Struggle, Steel Army, Stadium Of Light
10. Light Trails On Wearmouth Bridge
11. The Lone Fisherman, Roker Pier
12. East Facing, from Wearmouth Bridge
05. St. Peter's Church (674 AD)
06. House Of The Rising Sun, Wearmouth
07. East End, towards Wearmouth Bridge
08. Midnight, Penshaw Monument
21. Monument Sunrise, from Washington
22. Illuminations, Roker Park
23. Roker Dawn (Date Stamp : 8/9/10/11/12/13)
24. Liebherr Twilight, from St. Mary's Car Park
Sunderland is a city which lies at the heart of the City of Sunderland metropolitan borough, a part of Tyne and Wear, in North East England. It is situated at the mouth of the River Wear. It is the second City of the North East Region after Newcastle upon Tyne.
Historically a part of County Durham, there were three original settlements on the site of modern-day Sunderland. On the north side of the river, Monkwearmouth was settled in 674 when Benedict Biscop founded the Wearmouth-Jarrow monastery. Opposite the monastery on the south bank, Bishopwearmouth was founded in 930. A small fishing village called Sunderland, located toward the mouth of the river (modern day East End) was granted a charter in 1179.
Over the centuries, Sunderland grew as a port, trading coal and salt. Ships began to be built on the river in the 14th century. By the 19th century, the port of Sunderland had grown to absorb Bishopwearmouth and Monkwearmouth.
A person who is born or lives around the Sunderland area is sometimes colloquially known as a Mackem.
All images are © copyright of Ashley Corr Photography and are protected by law. No unauthorised copying, downloading or reproduction in any other format is allowed without written permission from the owner